At least 100 People Admitted in Hospital after Consuming Meat from Camel

At least seven people, among them six children, are admitted at Nyambene Level 4 Hospital in Meru County with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea after consuming meat from camel which had died under mysterious circumstances.

More than 100 villagers were treated and discharged on Friday and early Saturday, with the victims having previously lamented over hunger pangs due to lack of food in the area.

According to hospital administrators, most of the patients were women and children, with some as young as 3 years.

“Ile ilitendeka kwetu ni ngamia alikufa tukaenda kukata nyama tukapikia watoto wetu wakakula, sasa wakaanza kugonjeka. Wakatuokota huko nyumbani wakatuleta hospitali,” said one of the women.

Majority of the patients were complaining of headaches, stomach-aches, diarrhoea and vomiting.

They said severe hunger due to the drought in most parts of the country drove them to consume the meat from the two camels which had died under mysterious circumstances.

Dr Githu Wachira, who oversaw treatment of the 100 victims, said they had suffered food poisoning.

“Watu waliletwa baada ya kula ngamia ambaye alikuwa amekufa na haikuwa imepimwa na daktari…kwa bahati mbaya wakapata shida za tumbo, ugonjwa ambayo huwa tunaita food poisoning,” said Dr. Wachira.
Some of the victims were admitted in critical condition, but none succumbed.

“Wengi ambao walikuja walikuwa na shida za kuhara, kutapika na kuumwa na kichwa…na kunao wengi ambao walikuwa kwa hali mbaya, lakini usiku madaktari wakajitolea wakawashughulikia wote… tunafurahi sana kupeana ripoti kwamba hakuna ata mmoja ambaye ameaga dunia,” added Dr. Wachira.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.